Alert icon urgent
Important information for Albertans

AGLC is taking the COVID-19 coronavirus matter seriously. Please visit for the latest updates.

Alert icon recall
Voluntary cannabis product recalls

TerrAscend Corp. have initiated voluntary product recalls. Learn more

Close alert Close


← Back

How much cannabis am I personally allowed to have?

An adult (18+) in Alberta is legally allowed to possess up to 30 grams of legally produced dried-cannabis (or the equivalent volume in other forms) in public.

The Government of Canada has developed ratios for other cannabis products that can be used to determine a possession limit for those products.
One (1) gram of dried cannabis is equivalent to:

  • 5 g of fresh cannabis
  • 15 g of edible product
  • 70 g of liquid product
  • 0.25 g of concentrates (solid or liquid)
  • 1 cannabis plant seed
Growing plant

What are the limitations on home-growing cannabis?

  • with the federal legislation, Albertans wishing to cultivate a small personal supply of cannabis are able to purchase their seeds from a provincially regulated retailer or through Alberta’s only legal online retailer 
  • Canadians are allowed to grow up to four cannabis plants per residence for personal use from licensed seeds.
  • Renters, condo-dwellers and those who live in multi-family dwellings might be restricted from growing cannabis in their homes based on rules established in rental agreements or condominium bylaws. 
  • Individuals wishing to cultivate a limited amount of legal cannabis for personal use must do so themselves and may not designate another person to do so for them.
  • The only exception will continue to be for individuals who have been authorized by their healthcare practitioner to use cannabis for medical purposes. In these situations, they may, if they are unable to cultivate their own cannabis, designate an individual to do so for them. This ensures that an individual who may be physically unable to cultivate their own cannabis for medical purposes can continue to have reasonable access to cannabis for medical purposes

How can I home grow safely?

  • Cannabis products can harm children and pets. Lock your grow space and products and dispose of waste safely.
  • When home growing or storing cannabis, keep the Alberta Poison and Drug Information Service number handy and close by: 1-800-332-1414. If you think your child has ingested cannabis call this number.
  • Keep your indoor air healthy. Monitor humidity levels. Use dehumidifiers and a carbon monoxide detector as needed both inside and outside the growing area.
  • Limit, select and carefully use pesticides. Even food-grade pesticides were not safety-tested for typical cannabis use.
  • Be aware of your building's electrical and fire safety limits.
  • Grow safely and within the law. Organic solvents for cannabis processing are dangerous and have legal consequences.
  • Check with your landlord or building manager for any restrictions before starting up a home grow space.
  • Limit ultraviolet light exposure to your eyes and skin.